Updated May 24, 2021
Starting on June 1, 2021, if you are a current UNC-Chapel Hill affiliate, North Carolina resident, or a current Wilson Library Research Fellow, in-person research appointments are available on a limited basis.
All users are encouraged to submit a request to have material digitized.
Requests for appointments are reviewed by staff and require a research consultation at least five full business days in advance. To begin this process, please complete the following steps.
- Schedule an online consultation to discuss your research access needs at least five full business days in advance of the day you are requesting to visit. Following the consultation, your research appointment will be confirmed and you will receive further details regarding your visit. We reserve the right to limit the number of appointments booked by any individual.
- Register as a researcher. With this account, you may request material for use in our research room, request material to be reproduced, and track the status of your requests.
We prescreen the health of our employees, requiring them to stay home if they feel sick, and we ask our visitors to do the same. If you are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19, if someone in your household is experiencing symptoms or awaiting a COVID-19 test result, or if you have been exposed to someone who tested positive for the virus, we ask that you reschedule your research appointment.
When you arrive
- On your first visit to the Wilson Library, you will need to present your UNC OneCard, North Carolina driver’s license, or other government-issued identification.
- We will take a photograph of you to include in your researcher account. This is required of all research room users and allows us to confirm your identity each time you visit our research room without having to present your identification. Your photo will be confidential, and we will not share it.
What can I bring into the research room?
- Your face mask
- Cellphone (set to silent or vibrate)
- Laptop (without its sleeve or bag)
- Loose leaf paper (no more than 10 sheets)
- USB drive
We have lockers and locks that you can use to store your other belongings that cannot come into the research room with you, such as:
- Bags, purses, and pouches
- Notebooks, note pads, binders, and folders
- Drinks (including water bottles)
- Lighting equipment
Inside the research room
Following the University of North Carolina’s Community Standards, face masks must be worn at all times in Wilson Library. We ask that you delay your visit if you are unable to wear a mask. Social distancing signs will be in place to guide your interactions with staff.
- Ensure your hands are clean before you handle materials.
- You must use materials in the research room, as they do not circulate.
- You will be given a cart of material, please remove only one box or one volume at a time.
- Security cameras monitor the research room at all times.
- Staff will ask to inspect anything you brought into the research room, such as a laptop, as you enter and leave the room. Please be prepared to hold things for staff at a distance; do not hand material to staff.
- Filming and video require advance notice and permission. Please email us at least two weeks prior to any potential visit.
Making copies of library material
- Use the overhead scanner (KIC Bookeye IV) or one of our HoverCams, a high-resolution, standalone document camera. HoverCams attach to your Mac or Windows computer and allow you to save images directly to your laptop.
- Bring your camera or camera phone into the research room to snap digital photos of materials.
- For high-resolution scans, audiovisual material, or material that requires special handling, place a research room reproduction request. Your reproductions will be delivered electronically following your research visit.