University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill faculty, staff, and students must present their valid UNC One Card in order to borrow materials from Davis Library.
All other patrons wishing to check out materials from any UNC Academic Affairs Library should apply for a Borrower’s card at the Davis Circulation Department.
If you have any questions about Borrower’s Cards, please contact Ben Pierpont.
Requirements for obtaining a Borrower’s Card:
- A North Carolina driver’s license; or a valid picture ID along with a document containing a current N.C. address
- Applicants must be age 14 or older
- Applicants younger than 18 must submit a completed parental consent form
- A completed Borrower’s application
- A fee of $25, paid by cash or check
- All borrowers who are not affiliated with UNC Chapel Hill must supply their Social Security number, as specified in the North Carolina Setoff Debt Collection Act, §105A-3 (c)
There is a $25 annual renewal fee, and a $5 fee for replacing lost cards.
State residents who purchase a card are limited to a total of five books checked out at any one time for the first year they have the Borrower’s card. After one year of problem-free borrowing the limit on the number of items checked out may be lifted when the card is renewed for a second year. A Borrower’s Card does not provide remote access to online materials. Offsite access to online materials is only available with an active UNC Chapel Hill affiliation.
Current members of the General Alumni Association, Friends of the Library and spouses/partners of current UNC faculty and staff may obtain a Borrower’s card at no charge by presenting proof of their status upon application.
Faculty, students, and staff affiliated with a Triangle Research Library Network school (Duke, NC Central, and NC State) or a UNC system school may use their University ID card as a Library card at UNC Chapel Hill. First time borrowers should bring their University ID to Davis Library to register for borrowing privileges on our campus.
Faculty, students, and staff of North Carolina’s Community Colleges may also obtain a Borrower’s card at no charge. A photo ID and proof of current affiliation is required upon application.
Note: All Borrower’s Cards Are Non-Transferable.
Materials borrowed from Davis Library have a loan period that is determined by the patron’s borrower status. These loan periods may be extended by renewing the materials online or in person. Click here to learn more about loan policies and renewals.
As a courtesy, notices and receipts are given or sent to patrons:
- to inform them of loan period changes,
- to inform them that materials are overdue, and
- as a receipt of items returned or fines and fees paid.