Gary Pattillo of the Davis Library Reference Department is the Disability Services Liaison for Davis Library. He can be reached to discuss your special needs via phone at (919) 962-1151 or by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check the UNC Transportation & Parking website for visitor parking information.
Visitors displaying an official state-issued disability designation may park in the spaces reserved for those with such permits (note the spaces in this map marked V for Visitor). There are three of these spaces on Lenoir and Davis Drives adjacent to Davis Library and one space behind the library near the ATM machines on Raleigh Road. Please note that these permits do not allow parking in the UNC Disability Permit parking spots.
Reference and Research Assistance includes the following:
- Assistance in the use of online and print finding aids.
- Advice about access to specialized online information sources.
- Explanation and descriptions of sources of specialized information.
- Help with bibliographic verification.
- Telephone (call 962-1151), email or chat assistance with finding the status of an item in the online catalog.
- Retrieval of books from the Reference Collection.
- Retrieval of government documents from the Documents stacks.
- Assistance with scanning materials.
- Assistance with photcopying a limited number of pages from reference books and government documents.
- Special tours of the building (by appointment).
Reference assistance is available at the Reference Desk, by telephone (962-1151), by email, and by chat.
Finding and Using Library Materials.
The Davis Circulation staff can assist with the following services:
- Paging of books from the stacks (may be on a delayed basis).
- Assistance in ascertaining the physical availability of books and periodicals in Davis Library.
- Checking to see if an item is on the shelf (may be on a delayed basis, depending on staff availability).
- Assistance with photocopying a limited number of pages of books or periodicals from the Davis Library stacks.
- Issuing proxy Borrower’s Cards. Users with disabilities may acquire a proxy Borrower’s Card to enable another person to check out items for them. The user, not the proxy, is responsible for all items checked out on the card. To request a proxy Borrower’s Card, contact Glenn Hayslett at 962-1053 or email@example.com.
Document Delivery and Interlibrary Loan services:
- Those with disabilities may find our Carolina BLU document delivery service to be especially useful.
- Graduate students registered with the Department of Disability Services who have a campus CB number can have materials delivered to their campus box. Please contact Gary Pattillo at firstname.lastname@example.org to enable this service.
Microforms Collection staff offer the following services:
- Assistance in the use of finding aids for the collection.
- Retrieval of microforms from the Microforms Collection stacks.
- Assistance in loading and using microform readers and copiers.
Facilities and Assistive Technology for people with physical and learning disabilities include the following:
- A Merlin LCD magnifier for enlarging printed materials is in Davis Reference, on the West side near the stairs.
- Microsoft Magnify and Narrator are on all public computers using the Start Menu.
- One locked study room. This room is located in Davis Reference, room 122. Please ask at the Reference Desk if you are not sure where it is located. Equipment includes:
- Kurzweil 1000 software and a scanner
- ZoomText and color contrast keyboard
- Two wheelchair-accessible workstations are located in the Davis Library Information Commons.