The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library provides collections, expertise, services, and facilities that are essential to achieving the University’s mission of research, teaching, learning, and public service for the campus community, state, nation, and world.
We aspire to be a leader among academic research libraries in meeting users’ evolving knowledge-creation and knowledge management needs. Building on a foundation of library excellence at the nation’s first public university, we will define and integrate new library roles, practices, partnerships, and technologies in achieving this vision.
Achieving this vision requires that we strengthen our commitment and provide leadership to:
- Identify users’ needs, measure the impact of library services on users, and use results to improve student, faculty, and library performance;
- Explore and apply new technologies to advance the creation and dissemination of knowledge, ensure service success, and increase library efficiency;
- Promote and encourage innovation and intelligent risk-taking;
- Collaborate with internal and external partners as a key approach to creating new library roles and practices;
- Foster a diverse environment that is marked by integrity, inclusiveness, and respect;
- Develop and employ staff expertise in all UNC libraries to create a cohesive, team-based culture that meets users’ needs;
- Track and shape the environment in which collections and other information resources and services are created and used; and
- Leverage existing and new resources to achieve the Library’s goals.