Campus Monuments and Buildings

The University Libraries collects, preserves, and provides access to a rich body of materials related to the physical environment of the UNC-Chapel Hill campus – including its history and controversy.

1913 Confederate monument

Graffiti on Silent Sam on April 8, 1968Library staff created a digital exhibit to compile primary sources related to the Confederate monument known as Silent Sam, which stood on the UNC-Chapel Hill campus from 1913-2018.

The sources, held in the University Archives and other Wilson Library collections, cover the planning and creation of the monument, as well as the discussion surrounding the monument in the years since.

A research guide points to books, articles, archival resources, newspapers, and photographs held by the Libraries relating to the Confederate monument.

Read more about How Carolina’s Archivists Preserve and Share the History of UNC’s Confederate Monument.

Other campus monuments and buildings

This research guide serves as a starting point for researchers interested in the history and controversy of the University’s physical landscape – its monuments, buildings, and spaces. The guide compiles resources related to the two Caldwell Monuments, “The Student Body” Statue, the Unsung Founders Memorial, and Carolina Hall (formerly Saunders Hall).