Fellowship Award Overview
Applications will be electronically accepted via Interfolio between December 1, 2019 and January 31, 2020.
Created through support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the AV Research Fellowship seeks to encourage advanced graduate students, faculty, independent scholars, and established performing and creative artists to engage in the intensive, innovative, and impactful research and artistic use of Wilson Library’s rich audiovisual collections.
Wilson Library holds extensive published and archival collections of moving image and sound recordings that document the history and culture of UNC Chapel Hill, North Carolina, the American South, the United States, and the world. The Library’s collection strengths are especially rich in vernacular music, oral history, documentary film, literature, NC public broadcasting, and UNC sports.
The research visit must take place during the summer research season, which extends from June 1 and September 1 in the year awarded. The Fellowship will be funded at the rate of $2,500 for a research visit of at least ten days.
- Have or be actively pursuing the terminal degree in your discipline, OR
- Be an established performing or creative artist, in which case the terminal degree requirement may be waived.
- Submit a Research Proposal and Research Plan that draws deeply and substantively on Wilson Library’s Audiovisual holdings to support your research.
- Commit to a full-time research residency of at least ten days at the Wilson Library that will occur during our Summer Research Season that extends between June 1 and September 1.
- Agree to participate in the intellectual life of the Library and the fellowship program, which will include a public presentation of research findings and experiences and the submission of a brief research report. Fellows may be invited to submit papers to a capstone symposium in Southern Studies that will take place in 2021-2022.
If you are a doctoral student or candidate studying the American South and you can commit to a research residency of at least one month, please consider applying for the Southern Studies Doctoral Fellowships.
All application materials must be received by midnight on the application due date and be submitted electronically via Interfolio using the Audiovisual Research Fellowship Application.
The online application requires the submission of the following supporting materials:
- Research Proposal: A brief narrative (no more than 1200 words) that describes your proposed research and its intellectual significance.
- Research Plan: A substantive preliminary list of Wilson Library Audiovisual materials that will be consulted during your residency. Brief annotations concerning the relevancy of a collection should be included.
- Curriculum vitae
- Two confidential letters of recommendation. For graduate students, one letter must be from your academic advisor.
- For graduate students, a letter from the Director of Graduate Studies confirming your current academic status.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Merit of the proposal
- Applicant’s qualifications and letters of recommendations
- Demonstrated need to access in person the holdings of the Wilson Special Collections Library
- December 1, 2019: Applications open for electronic submissions via Interfolio
- January 31, 2020: All application materials must be received by this date.
- March 31: Successful applicants are notified by email.
- April 30: Accepting applicants must return all required documentation by this date.
- June 1: Opening of Research Year
- September 1: Close of Summer Research Season
- October 1: Summer Research Reports due.
Awarding of Funds
Fellowship awards will be disbursed after the completion of a fellowship residency. It is strongly recommended that fellows arrive with the funds necessary to support their research visit.
This Fellowship is generously supported by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Questions about the fellowships program or application instructions should be directed to Matt Turi via firstname.lastname@example.org.