The following equipment can be checked out of the library for 3 days at a time. Bookings can be made in person at the Kenan Science Library front desk.
Newtonian 8-inch Telescope
Created in the Fall of 2015 through the Maker-In-Residence Program.
Sense 3D Scanner
Fast, easy, portable and practical, the Sense 3D scanner offers full-color 3D scanning and is small enough to fit in your laptop bag.
Arduino SparkFun Inventor’s Kit
The SparkFun Inventor’s Kit (SIK) is a great way to get started with programming and hardware interaction with the Arduino programming language. The SIK includes everything you need to complete 16 circuits that will teach you how to read sensors, display information on an LCD, drive motors, and more. You don’t need any previous programming or electronics experience to use this kit.
- SparkFun RedBoard
- Arduino and Breadboard Holder
- SparkFun Inventor’s Kit Guidebook
- White Solderless Breadboard
- SparkFun Mini Screwdriver
- 16×2 White on Black LCD (with headers)
- 74HC595 Shift Register
- BC337 Transistors
- 1N4148 Diodes
- DC Motor with Gear
- Small Servo
- SPDT 5V Relay
- TMP36 Temp Sensor
- Flex sensor
- 6′ SparkFun USB Cable
- Jumper Wires
- Tri-color LED
- Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green LEDs
- Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green Tactile Buttons
- 10K Trimpot
- Piezo Speaker
- 330 and 10K Resistors
Raspberry Pi Starter Pack
Get everything you need to start with the Adafruit Starter Pack for Raspberry Pi.
- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB RAM
- Adafruit Pi Case
- 3′ long USB Micro-B Cable
- 5V 1A power adapter
- USB TTL console cable
- 4GB SD Card
- Assembled Adafruit Pi Cobbler kit with GPIO cable
- USB microSD card reader
- Large full-size breadboard
- Breadboarding wires
- 10′ long Ethernet cable
- 5 x 10K resistors for pullups on the buttons
- 5 x 560 ohm resistors for the LEDs
- 1 red 10mm diffused LED
- 1 green 10mm diffused LED
- 1 blue 10mm diffused LED
- 3 tactile pushbuttons
- Light-sensitive resistor photocell
- 1uF capacitor
Using Our Equipment
Other equipment is also available for use in the Makerspace@KSL:
The following software are available for use in the Kenan Science Library.
Science & Mathematics
- ChemDraw is the industry leader of chemical drawing programs.
- Mathematica seamlessly integrates a numeric and symbolic computational engine, graphics system, programming language, documentation system, and advanced connectivity to other applications.
- MATLAB is a high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to perform computationally intensive tasks faster than with traditional programming languages such as C, C++, and Fortran.
Additional science & mathematics software are available through ITS Software Acquisition.
3D Design & Editing
- SOLIDWORKS is the industry leader of chemical drawing programs.
Additional 3D Design & Editing software that can be accessed by UNC-Chapel Hill affiliates from anywhere are listed on our 3D Printing page.