STUDENT RESEARCH ASSISTANT CLINICAL, ACADEMIC, & RESEARCH ENGAGEMENT
The Health Sciences Library (HSL) is seeking applicants for 20 hour/week student research assistant position in the area of Clinical, Academic, & Research Engagement (CARE).
The HSL serves faculty, students, and staff in schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the UNC Health Care system which includes an 800+-bed teaching hospital; and the North Carolina AHEC statewide program for health professionals’ education. The library is nationally recognized for its leadership in outreach and education services.
The library develops partnerships with constituent groups and individuals to enhance their education, teaching, scholarship, patient care, practice and research roles. This may involve helping patrons make use of the library’s collections and services; answering questions and finding the best evidence; using and creating information in varied formats; finding and managing data; complying with public access policies; developing information literacy competencies; and more.
After orientation and training, the Research Assistant (RA) will:
- Provide reference and literature search help by email and chat (approximately 10 hours / week)
- Participate in projects including:
- creating and updating online research guides
- supporting and/or leading instruction sessions on citation managers and systematic review software
- holding one-on-one or small group consultations for citation management programs and literature databases
- assisting in course-integrated library instruction
- Partner and engage with HSL staff, as well as staff and faculty from the health affairs schools, to perform bibliometric analysis, research impact metrics, and library impact analysis
- Assist in providing literature search support to HSL Statewide Engagement, including rural health initiatives, during position vacancies.
- Work on special projects or collaborate with departmental staff in areas including support for interprofessional education & practice (IPEP), systematic reviews/advanced searching, instructional technologies, and others depending on the needs of the library and the interests/skills of the student.
- Must be a currently enrolled graduate student at UNC Chapel Hill
- Able to articulate a desire to explore diverse areas of academic research libraries
- Demonstrated excellent time management and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and on teams
- Graduate student in library or information science preferred
- Experience or course work in one or more of these areas: customer service, reference, searching electronic databases, library services, development of computer based instructional materials
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and aptitude for working effectively with library users or other customers
- Experience or stated interest in health, medicine or the sciences
- High skill in using, or demonstrated ability to learn, computer programs such as PowerPoint, image manipulation software, content management systems (WordPress, LibGuides, wikis, blogs) and bibliographic management software
Schedule, Salary and Benefits
This is a 20 hour per week position, Monday through Friday with flexible schedules between the hours of 8am and 5pm. Monthly salary is $1336.42. This position may be eligible for the graduate student health insurance and other benefits may apply. Position starts August 10, 2020.
Send cover letter, a current resume, and a list of three references to Jennifer Walker, Graduate Research Assistant Supervisor: email@example.com. Applications will be review as received. Position will be open until filled