Research Assistant for Community Outreach Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Southern Historical Collection, Wilson Special Collections Library, UNC Libraries
SUMMARY: UNC Library’s Mellon Grant for Community Driven Archives seeks a research oriented, diligent and organized individual to serve as our research assistant for outreach. Supporting the Community Outreach Coordinator this person will conduct background research for communities and grant team and perform clerical duties for the community outreach coordinator
Start Date: June 1, 2019
End Date: March 31, 2021
- Track supplies and shipping/dissemination of the Archivists in a Backpack prototype
- Troubleshoot basic technology questions from community members: transferring files, using the Zoom recorder
- Draft blogs, tweets, Facebook events to promote the work of the grant
- Follow the scholarship and professional writing around community- based archives and keep the group updated
- Create annotated bibliographies or visualizations that contextualize our work
- Other tasks as delegated by the Community Outreach Coordinator and the Community Archivist
- Proficient with Microsoft Office/365 applications
- General familiarity with archives in academic libraries – function, workflows, etc.
- Comfortable operating basic archival tools: zoom recorders, scanners, portable storage (SD cards, external hard drive), managing born digital files
- BA in a related field
- Currently enrolled in a graduate degree program
- Experience with design applications like Canva or the Adobe suite
- Experience with data visualization tools like Timeline JS, Tableau, etc.
The position is for 20 hours per week at a salary of $1336/month ($16,037/year).
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: Sonoe Nakasone, firstname.lastname@example.org