Records Management and Searching Coordinator
Position Title: University Library Technician – Journey
Working Title: Records Management and Searching Coordinator
Position Number: 00016948
Hiring Range: $38,684 – $42,982
Closing Date: August 5, 2022
The Circulation Department at Davis Library develops and implements services that connect users to experts, collections, technology, and spaces within the Davis Library and Science Library Annex. The Davis Circulation Department staffs the Davis Library Service Desk, which provides both Circulation and Basic Reference services from a single, unified service point. Services at the desk include basic customer service, basic and advanced circulation functions, policy interpretation, electronic resource troubleshooting, printer and scanner support, and basic reference assistance for UNC faculty, staff, students, and community patrons.
The Records Management and Searching Coordinator monitors and maintains the library collection database by routinely identifying items in exception statuses, conducting searches, and updating records. Responds to communications from library patrons regarding checked-out items they believe they returned, conducts searches, updates records, and follows up with patrons. Maintains public online reservation schedules in Springshare for student study spaces in Davis Library and for the curbside pickup program. Uses Illiad to process and pull document delivery requests as needed. Supervises student assistant employees assigned to help with various searching or document delivery functions. This position also works shifts at the Service Desk daily.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience in library services, office support, or related field; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Required Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
* Computing skills, including familiarity across operating systems and fluency with office applications as well as comfort troubleshooting both familiar and new technology
* Familiarity with digitization processes, online public access catalogs, reserves platforms, access databases, and spreadsheets
* Demonstrated ability to locate, analyze, and interpret data contained in complex online systems, such as scholarly databases or integrated library systems
* Significant and relevant experience providing public/customer service or delivering instruction
* Ability to work effectively in a high-volume, high-demand environment, and to manage multiple, sometimes competing, priorities
* Ability to adapt to changing user and organizational needs in a dynamic, service-oriented environment
* Familiarity with the services, spaces, technology, and collections provided in a modern library environment
* Ability to interpret and explain a wide variety of policies and procedures, varying from basic to complex, to the public, and to exercise independent judgment
* Attention to detail, time-management, and organizational skills
* Very good written and oral communication skills and ability to stay calm under pressure
* Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
* Ability to supervise and mentor student staff
* Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusivity, and accessibility in the workplace
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* Strong problem-solving skills
* Ability to meet high service standards in all interactions (in-person, by telephone, via e-mail or online) and to supervise others to provide excellent service
Preferred Qualifications, Competencies, and Experience
* Working knowledge of an integrated library system or automated circulation system.
* Working knowledge of Sierra, Illiad, and/or Springshare
* Graduation from a 4-year college or university
Special Physical/Mental Requirements
Must have the ability to move 25 lbs with or without accommodations
Must have the ability to move loaded carts with or without accommodations
Campus Security Authority Responsibilities
This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority in accordance with the Clery Act. This position will be required to report Clery crimes to the Clery Compliance Manager and complete annual training about reporting responsibilities.
8am-5pm, Monday – Friday
To apply for this position, please visit the Office of Human Resources Careers at Carolina website. For more information on application procedures, applicants may contact:
Office of Human Resources
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
104 Airport Drive CB #1045
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.