Media and Design Instruction Graduate Assistant
The Media Resources Center
The MRC curates a research level media collection, provides digital literacy instruction, media production and design services, along with the equipment, hardware, and software needed to make a wide range of digital media products. Our center’s success stems from our ability to provide these resources effectively, efficiently, and with expertise.
Media & Design Instruction Graduate Assistant
Reporting to the Head of the Media Resources Center and working closely with the Media Lab Manager, the person in this position directly supports our digital literacy instruction and related services. The Media & Design Grad Assistant supports students, faculty, and staff on a wide range of media and design projects in the MRC’s media lab. Responsibilities include providing direct instruction and consultation to lab patrons, helping create online tutorials and guides, as well as co-teaching or leading some classes and workshops as needed. Work may also include projects related to the media collections.
Why work with the MRC?
- Develop marketable skills in the training and use of media production equipment and technologies.
- Build a foundation of knowledge by investigating new methods and emerging technologies related to media and design.
- Gain experience in planning and providing digital literacy instruction, training materials, and workshops.
- Assist with special projects related to media collection development and public service.
- Some experience teaching or providing training and instruction.
- Familiarity in working with media production and design (e.g. audio, video, graphic image) software, particularly ADOBE creative suite.
- Familiarity in working with media production equipment (e.g. cameras, microphones, etc.)
- Commitment to providing outstanding customer service to a diverse university clientele.
- Strong computer skills and the motivation to learn new technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organization, analytic, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as working independently after training.
- Proven experience with the operation of media production equipment (e.g. cameras, microphones, recorders).
- Strong working knowledge and experience using media production software such as Adobe CC (e.g. Premiere, Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Experience working with WordPress
Hours and Pay
20 hours per week required with scheduled hours on Fridays and Sundays.
Monthly salary of $1,336.42.
Applicants must be enrolled in a Master’s degree or higher level program at UNC.
This position may be eligible for the graduate student health insurance; other benefits may apply.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest, CV, and contact information for 2 references to: email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “MRC Media & Design Graduate Assistant.”
Start date: January 2, 2020
End Date: May 31, 2020