Library Data Strategy & Services Research Assistant
Library Data Strategy & Services in the University Libraries is seeking qualified applicants for a 20 hour/week Research Assistant position, at a salary of $1,336.42/month. This position will support data identification, reformatting, and analysis about UNC-authored scholarship. This position may qualify for additional benefits, including the graduate student health insurance. Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Library Data Strategy & Services (LDSS) within Davis Library works with library data at scale to promote discovery of library resources. The department works across multiple systems and data formats and makes creative use of available technologies to achieve departmental and library goals. We develop strategic solutions for, and provide input on, getting things done with data across the libraries.
- Identify and retrieve additional metadata about faculty publications from a variety of sources
- Clean and normalize metadata in a variety of data formats
- Use automated tools to manipulate metadata as needed
- Transform unstructured data to a structured data format such as XML, JSON, or CSV
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Experience with and interest in engaging deeply with detail-oriented work
- Ability to think creatively, critically and analytically
- Comfort with ambiguity, experimentation and self-directed learning
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Interest in metadata and scholarly communications
- Interest in automated methods for processing and analyzing data, such as through natural language processing
Please send a brief letter of interest and resume to Anna Goslen at email@example.com. Application review will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.