Information and Access Services Specialist, Health Sciences Library
Position Title: University Library Specialist – Advanced
Working Title: Information and Access Services Specialist
Position Number: 00030707
Hiring Range: $50,652 – $58,900
Closing Date: September 16, 2019
This is an Internal posting for permanent, time-limited and layoff priority employees of UNC-Chapel Hill only.
This position oversees operations and day-to-day public services for the Health Sciences Library (HSL). These operations include circulation and information services, and serving as primary contact for security, building, and staffing issues. Works with the Director of Public Services to develop, implement, and maintain library policies relating to circulation and building hours, including adverse weather. Oversees the HSL Room Reservation System and course reserves.
This position provides information services, technology assistance, and research assistance to students and scholars who seek to use the HSL in person or virtually.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Graduation from a 4-year college or university and 1 year of experience in a library or archives and/or records management; or H.S.and 5 years of experience in a library or archives and/or records management; or equivalent combination of training and experience. Degrees must be received from appropriately(ALA) accredited institutions.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
The Information and Access Services Specialist must have:
- • Supervisory experience
• Public services management experience
• Familiarity with providing information and reference services in a health environment.
• Working knowledge of an integrated library system or automated circulation system
• Experience and proficiency in locating, analyzing, and interpreting data contained in complex online systems
• Current computer skills including word processing, e-mail, web browsers, spreadsheets, databases
• Very good written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to exercise independent judgment and resolve non-routine problems
• Ability to work effectively in a high-volume, high-demand environment
• Ability to meet set and meet high service standards in all interactions (in-person, by telephone, via e-mail or online)
• Demonstrated ability to make sound judgment calls
• Demonstrated understanding of the current information and learning needs of students in a college/university setting
• Ability to interpret and explain a wide variety of policies and procedures, varying from basic to complex, to the public
- • Familiarity with the Sierra integrated library system
• Familiarity with ILLiad and the Carolina BLU service
Evening work occasionally
8 hrs. per day, Monday – Friday
To apply for permanent staff (SHRA) positions, please visit the Office of Human Resources Careers at Carolina website. For more information on application procedures, applicants may contact:
Office of Human Resources
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
104 Airport Drive CB #1045
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.