HR Support Specialist, Library HR Office
Position Title: Administrative Support Specialist – Advanced
Working Title: HR Support Specialist
Position Number: 00017067
Hiring Range: $41,450 – $45,834
Closing Date: August 16, 2019
The University Libraries is seeking a friendly, collaborative, and well-organized individual to join the Library Human Resources Office as an HR Support Specialist.
The Libraries employs over 300 students annually and the person in this position will have primary responsibility for employment; payroll; data gathering, analysis, and reporting relating to these students. They will also handle general customer service and day-to-day operations of the Library Human Resources Office. This often entails one-on-one training with student supervisors and student employees and communication with a large staff regarding HR policies and practices affecting their employment. As such, the person in this position is responsible for applying, communicating and utilizing best practices in human resources.
This individual also serves as the Libraries’ administrator for the university’s electronic time and attendance system, where employee hours are recorded and tracked.
The incumbent will also perform administrative support for the office and the Director of Library HR, as well as occasionally serving as back-up to others on the team.
This position has back-up responsibility for human resources duties for SHRA and EHRA temporary and permanent employees when other staff are not available.
Minimum Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalency and one year of related office experience; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
The HR Support Specialist must have:
- Demonstrated ability to handle a high volume of routine transactions with attention to detail and a very high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and handle different transactions, in different stages, concurrently.
- Comfort with client contact through email, phone, and in-person.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. This includes excellent grammar, and the ability to be tactful, concise and clear in written and verbal communications.
- Strong focus on customer service, including responsiveness to requests and follow-up. · Ability to anticipate customer needs and make process changes to improve the customer experience.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Ability to handle sensitive situations and data with confidentiality, integrity, and professionalism.
- Prior experience working in a human resources environment.
- Experience working with college students.
- Experience managing the collection and manipulation of data in spreadsheets.
- Working knowledge of ConnectCarolina/Peoplesoft, Infoporte, LawLogix, GradStar, WordPress, and the Kronos “TIM” timekeeping management system.
- Demonstrated interest in the human resources field, such as membership in a professional human resources association.
Special Physical and Mental Requirements
Position generally requires in-office presence during work hours, ability to sit at a desk and use a computer throughout most of the day; ability to operate office equipment; ability to communicate using telephone and email.
8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday-Friday
To apply for permanent staff (SHRA) positions, please visit the Office of Human Resources Careers at Carolina website. For more information on application procedures, applicants may contact:
Office of Human Resources
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
104 Airport Drive CB #1045
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.