CLINICAL, ACADEMIC, & RESEARCH ENGAGEMENT GRADUATE ASSISTANT
Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
The Health Sciences Library (HSL) is seeking applicants for two 20 hour/week graduate assistant positions in the department of Clinical, Academic, & Research Engagement (CARE). These positions will be for in-person work within the HSL building for the 2021-2022 academic year, from mid-August 2021 to mid-May 2022.
The HSL serves faculty, students, and staff in schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the UNC Health Care system which includes an 800+-bed teaching hospital; and the North Carolina AHEC statewide program for health professionals’ education. The library is nationally recognized for its leadership in outreach and education services.
CARE, and its partner department Clinical and Statewide Engagement (CaSE), develops partnerships with the above constituent groups and individuals to enhance their education, teaching, scholarship, patient care, practice and research roles. For graduate assistants, this may involve helping patrons make use of the library’s collections and services; answering questions and finding the best information; using and creating resources in varied formats; finding and managing data; complying with public access policies; developing information literacy competencies; and more.
After orientation and training, the Graduate Assistants (GA) will:
- Provide reference and literature search help by email, online systems, virtual or in-person meetings, and/or by chat.
- Participate in projects in the CARE and CaSE Departments, including creating and updating web and print user guides and documentation; teaching or co-teaching classes and workshops; providing one-on-one help for citation management programs and literature databases; and leading process improvement and systems analysis projects, depending on interest.
- Assist with HSL’s Research Hub in supporting research and instruction initiatives, including tutorials, workshops, and resource guides.
- Work on special projects in collaboration with other HSL departments. Past projects have included work in collection management, archives, interlibrary loan, cataloging, scholarly communications, the YOUR HEALTH radio show blog, and usability studies of the HSL online presence. Upcoming areas could include support for interprofessional education (IPE); systematic reviews; open educational resources and instructional technologies; diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility-focused projects; and others depending on the needs of the library and the interests/skills of the GA.
- Must be a currently enrolled graduate student at UNC Chapel Hill.
- Able to articulate a desire to explore diverse areas of academic research libraries.
- Demonstrated excellent time management and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and on teams.
- Experience or course work in one or more of these areas: customer service/reference, searching electronic databases, library services, development of instructional materials.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and aptitude for working effectively with library users/UNC affiliates.
- Experience or stated interest in health, medicine, or the sciences.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Teams and Zoom.
- Skill in using, or demonstrated ability to learn, computer programs such as PowerPoint, image manipulation software, content management systems (WordPress, LibGuides, wikis, blogs) and bibliographic management software (EndNote, Zotero, Sciwheel).
- Availability to work through May 2022.
Schedule, Salary and Benefits
These are 20 hour per week positions with flexible hours, primarily falling within Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm with potential for occasional weekend hours. Salary is $1672.67/monthly with no additional benefits.
Send a cover letter, a current resume, and a list of three references to Rebecca Carlson, Graduate Assistant Supervisor: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as received and you will be notified before references are contacted. Positions will be open until filled.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Rebecca Carlson at email@example.com