Quick LinksBook a Film Collections Digital Literacy Concepts Digital Literacy Projects Request Media Instruction Reserves
Multimedia & Digital Literacy Instruction Services
Consulting and Instruction SessionsDesigning a new course and want to add a media component? Need help incorporating media assignments into a class you’re already teaching? We’re here to help. Media & Design Center staff members can assist you in developing assignments to target specific digital and media literacies as well as provide instruction to your students on how to use a host of digital media production and editing software. Some examples:
- 2-3 minute visual essay
- Short documentary
- Public Service Announcements
- Anatomy of Scene / quick film analysis
- Political Campaign Ads
- TEDish talks
- Conducting an interview
- Film Synthesis or Trailer
To schedule an assignment consult, please email Winifred (email@example.com).To schedule a production instruction session in the Media Lab, please complete the Production Instruction Form or email firstname.lastname@example.org with your requested date and time and an alternate, along with a sentence or two on the students’ prospective assignment (video, audio, image editing, etc).
AccommodationsDo you or any of the students in your class have accommodation needs we should take into account when planning and teaching the library session? If yes, please describe how we can best accommodate those needs, ideally with 5 business days’ notice before the session.
Booking Films for Your Class
Scheduling Our MaterialsFaculty and teaching assistants may check out non-circulating materials for classroom use. A maximum of five (5) items can be checked to a single person at any given time. The Media & Design Center requires 24-hour advance notice to guarantee that materials, if available, will be ready for pick up at the scheduled time. Given availability, extensions on classroom use may be granted.
Get Films from Duke, NC State or NC CentralWe have an agreement with the Triangle Research Library Network: you may borrow films from NC State, Duke or NC Central through the Media & Design Center. Please email your request to the MDC at least 3-5 business days in advance. Contact Katelyn Ander directly if you have any questions.
Materials from Other UniversitiesInstructors may borrow materials from other universities through the Interlibrary Loan department. For more information, please visit their site. Materials from other universities may require three weeks to allow for processing and shipping and may also require a fee, for which your department is responsible.
- Our Scholarly Communications Office provides guidance and other assistance on issues including copyright.
- The Center for Media & Social Impact at American University’s School of Communication published a “Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education” to help educators using media literacy concepts and techniques to interpret the copyright doctrine of fair use.
- Stanford University has a great page with information on fair use & copyright guidelines and policies.
Contact UsWinifred Fordham Metz, Media Librarian and Head of the MDC email@example.com Contact Winifred to:
- Request a film for purchase.
- Schedule a consultation.
- Get help with filmographies, programming, research, resource guides and streaming digital resources.
- Discover the newest additions to our collection.