By borrowing library materials you are agreeing to pay any fine or fee that is charged for materials that are returned late, damaged, or lost.
Collections of the Library are open and available to all. Some restrictions may apply. Borrowers can use MyLibrary to monitor items they have checked out, due dates, fines incurred, and to renew items.
Faculty, students, and staff of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill may borrow circulating materials upon presentation of their campus identification card (UNC One Card). For information about the UNC One Card, see onecard.unc.edu.
Non-affiliated persons, students and faculty from other universities, residents of North Carolina, members of the General Alumni Association, and Friends of the Library may borrow materials by registering at Davis Library (or the Law or Health Sciences Libraries). See Library-wide Borrowing and Loan Policies for information about fees and borrowing privileges for non-affiliated persons.
General Collection and Popular Reading Collection: 30 days
Media Resources Center Collection: Videos, other media, and MRC equipment vary by format. See MRC Policies for loan periods.
Reserve Materials: Most reserve books can be checked out for 2 hours, overnight, 24 hours, or 7 days. Some items are for use only in the Undergraduate Library. All reserve loans convert to two-hour loans during exams. Alternatively, most reserve books may be used in the Reserve Reading Room. If you wish to use a reserve book outside of this room, you must check it out at the Reserve Desk. A scanner and photocopier are available in the Reserve Reading Room computer area.
Equipment and accessories: Most equipment can be checked out for 3 hours to be used in the Undergraduate Library. See the complete equipment list for more details.
Magazines and Newspapers (Serials/Periodicals): Current and bound periodicals are for in library use only and cannot be checked out. However, scanners and copiers are available for duplication of materials.
General and Popular Reading Collection Books: no limits.
Reserve items: 3 at a time.
Videos and DVDs: 3 DVDs and a total of 3 of any other Media Resources Center items. See MRC Policies for specific information.
Books may be renewed in-person or online for three additional loan periods, with some exceptions.
- Online renewal is not available between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
- Items not renewed on or before their due dates may lead to overdue fines, which could disallow further renewals on the account until the fines are paid.
- Renewals may be denied due to outstanding fines, expired borrower’s card, or book recalls (request by another patron or for course reserves).
- Books may be renewed in person by presenting the book and your valid One Card at the circulation desk of any UNC campus library. In person book renewals will be transacted as a new loan and restart the online renewal options.
- Reserve renewals can only be made in person at the Reserve Desk from which it was checked out.
- Only Screenplays can be renewed in person at the Media Resources Center. See MRC Policies.
- Laptops may be renewed once.
Fines on items borrowed from the Undergraduate Library are $0.50 per day, per item (up to $25 maximum per item) with the following exceptions:
- Recalled items: Additional $0.50 per day each day past the recall adjusted due date.
- Reserve items and computer accessories: $1 per hour per item; up to $50 maximum per item.
- Overdue laptop: $30 per hour, with no maximum overdue charge.
- Media Resources Center materials: $1 a day per item; up to $25 maximum per item.
- Media Resources Center equipment: $30 per hour, with no maximum overdue charge.
- Lost or damaged books. See the libraries’ lost or damaged book policy.
- Lost or damaged Reserve Books: 7 days after due date, patrons are billed replacement cost of $125 ($100 replacement plus $25 processing).
- Lost or damaged media charges vary by item type. See MRC Policies.
- Appeal of Library Charges form
- If you have any questions about fines and billing, please email email@example.com.
Books currently checked out to another patron may be recalled online via the catalog using Carolina BLU (registration required) or in person by completing a Hold card at the Book Checkout Desk. Recalled books may have adjusted due dates, reducing the original loan period. Recalled items returned overdue will incur additional recall fines of $0.50 per day each day past the adjusted due date without a grace period. The recall fine is applied in addition to regular overdue fines, and can more than double the total fine charged.
Books may be returned to any UNC campus library checkout desk or return bin. Books will be returned to the owning library, or Interlibrary Services Office, by library courier within three business days. Materials deposited into an exterior return bin will be discharged the next library business day, and applicable fine days will apply.
Reserve material checked out from the Undergraduate Library should be returned to the UL Reserve Desk.
Media Resources Center materials: Please do not return media materials in the exterior bin. Please return media materials to the Media Resources Center when the Undergraduate Library is open. All Media Resources Center materials should be returned to the department’s Check-Out Desk during its business hours to ensure same-day discharge. When the department is closed, Media Resources Center materials may be deposited in the return bin located near the department’s entrance. Items returned in the bin will be discharged on the Media Resources Center’s next business day and applicable fine days will apply.
Undergraduate Library books may also be returned by mail. Applicable fines will be charged. Packages and letters sent via USPS should be sent to:
UNDERGRADUATE LIBRARY CIRCULATION
(can include name of person who should receive it)
P.O. Box 8890
R.B. HOUSE UNDERGRADUATE LIBRARY
CHAPEL HILL, NC 27515-8890
Packages sent via FEDEX/UPS or other private carriers should be sent to:
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL
(should include recipient, name or department)
208 RALEIGH ST
CHAPEL HILL, NC 27599-3942
What if a book or periodical isn’t on the shelf?
The item may still be available. Ask for assistance at the entry level Service Desk.
Loan Policy Questions
Contact the UL Circulation Librarian, Libby Grey, by phone at 919-962-1355 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.