The Design Lab, located in the House Undergraduate Library, is devoted to the teaching and learning of digital design. Open to UNC students, staff or faculty members, the Lab is where you can work on any design project for a class assignment, student organization, or professional/personal development.*
Ask for help at the entry level service desk. Desk hours are available on the Libraries & Hours page.
SkillfUL Tech Workshops
We offer workshops to help you get started on your projects and introduce you to digital design software and concepts. HTML, Photoshop, InDesign, Excel and more! Find all the details on the SkillfUL website.
Sign up for a one-on-one meeting to get help on your design project. Our staff can help you learn the software and equipment you need to make your project a reality. We’ve helped patrons with everything from websites to logos, academic posters to flyers and other promotional materials. **You may make up to two appointments per week.
Research and Design Librarian
- Photoshop / photo editing
- InDesign / layout
- Illustrator / vector graphics
- Presentation Design
- Graphic Design
Design Lab staff is ready to help instructors incorporate media assignments into new or existing courses. We can work with you to develop assignments to target the desired digital literacies and provide instruction to your students in design principles and software. We have taught classes on:
- print publication design (brochures, posters, info graphics, etc.)
- website development
- presentation design (PowerPoint, Prezi)
Contact Jennie Goforth at email@example.com or 919-962-4194.
Use the Lab
- 8 iMacs and 10 PCs equipped with the Adobe Creative Suite and web development software
- Scanners for every kind of project: quick and efficient sheet-fed scanners, large-format high-resolution scanners for images and film, and a high-speed book scanner**
- Reserve time with the HTC Vive headset at the Virtual Reality Station
*Those not affiliated with UNC wishing to use the Design Lab for educational purposes may contact Jennie Goforth at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-962-4194.
**Users are liable for any infringement of laws or regulations they commit in use of library equipment. Please contact the library’s Scholarly Communications Office if you have any questions.