Library buildings are currently closed at UNC-Chapel Hill, but it’s easier than ever to find a book from the University Libraries online.
As a member of HathiTrust, the Library has unlocked more than 1.1 million digitized books from the Trust’s collection for Carolina students, faculty and staff to use during the COVID-19 emergency. These are items that exist in print at the University Libraries and that other HathiTrust members have scanned and deposited in the cooperative digital collection.
Carolina affiliates also have permanent access to more than 35,000 items that UNC-Chapel Hill has contributed to HathiTrust, as well as more than 6.7 million public domain and Creative Commons-licensed works.
HathiTrust, a not-for-profit collaborative of academic and research libraries, is providing this lawful Emergency Temporary Access Service for its members while universities are closed due to the emergency.
How to Access HathiTrust Emergency Access Books
The easiest way to read a book from the Emergency collection is by first finding it in the catalog:
1. Search for a title in the University Libraries’ online catalog.
2. Select the link that reads “Full text temporarily available to UNC-Chapel Hill affiliates.” This will take you to a HathiTrust landing page that indicates the item is not available.
3. Select “Log In” at the top of the page and select “University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill” from the drop-down.
4. Log in using your ONYEN and password.
5. The book will be checked out to you for one hour and will automatically renew if you are still actively reading.
Learn more about accessing HathiTrust books, including how to do so directly via the HathiTrust website, at https://www.hathitrust.org/ETAS-How-To.
Even more online resources
In addition to the subscriptions that the University Libraries normally provides through its website, many publishers are offering free access to some of their online resources for a limited time during the emergency.
Keep in mind that publishers are rapidly making changes to their online offerings and this list may not reflect recent developments.
If you are looking for a book, journal, movie or other library item, we are here to help and can even special-order items for you. Please contact us using chat or email (not phone!) and an expert will try to connect you with whatever you need.