How to Transfer Permanent Records


All records transfers must be approved by the staff of University Archives and Records Management Services before those records can be transferred, and all transfers must include a Records Transfer Form. Below are step-by-step instructions to help you prepare your records and transfer them to University Archives.

Please contact University Archives & Records Management Services if you have any questions about transferring materials, or if you are unsure if your materials should be transferred.

Note: University Archives will no longer accept transfer forms in hard copy. Please send all transfer forms as email attachments to

  1. Determine if Records Should be Sent to the Archives
  2. Prepare Records for Transfer
  3. Fill Out Records Transfer Form
  4. Send Records Transfer Form
  5. Label Boxes
  6. Transport Boxes



University Archives accepts only those records listed in the General Records Retention and Disposition Schedule with disposition instructions that state “Transfer to the custody of University Archives.” There are guidelines on the value of records that can help you determine if something may require permanent retention.

Contact University Archives and Records Management Services if you have questions about whether or not records require permanent retention.


  1. Office files should be transferred to University Archives in the original order in which they have been arranged in use, since their organization reflects the functions and activities of the office that created the records.
  2. Remove records from your filing cabinet and box in standard record center cartons measuring 12″ x 15″ x 10″. These may be obtained from Staples (Item # 825695). Boxes must have lids and handles. Do not use other sizes or types of boxes as they may not fit on our shelves and may be too heavy and awkward for staff to lift. If you have oddly sized items that do not fit into the cartons, contact UARMS staff. One file drawer generally equals two records center boxes. Fill each carton completely, but do not overfill or force records into full boxes.
  3. Do not remove records from the folders in which they were placed in your filing cabinet—original groupings of documents and folder titles are necessary for proper arrangement and description of archival materials. Place the folders upright in the carton with all folder titles facing the same direction. If you are using hanging file folders, replace them with standard file folders. We will not accept transfers that include hanging file folders.
  4. For electronic records, you can transfer them on a CD, DVD, thumb drive, or external hard drive. Be careful to keep intact the file structure as it is on the computer or server and properly label the media. If you have not yet copied the electronic records that you need to transfer, UARMS staff can come to your office with an external hard drive and assist you in copying these files from your computer or server.


  1. Fill out the Records Transfer Form, which must include a list of the boxes, folders, items, or files being transferred to University Archives. Use only one form each time you transfer materials, and do not fill out separate forms for each box or item being transferred. Simply click on the field you wish to fill in and type the information required.
  2. Fill in all the information requested on the form.
  3. For paper records, include a list of the files or the contents of the boxes that you are transferring. In this list, identify the type of files you are sending by listing the folder labels, the box number in which these files are located, the unique series identification number from the General Records Retention and Disposition Schedule that corresponds to the files, and the date span of the files. If you have already created a list that contains additional information you may also send that. The box and folder list is required and it must be completed. If you do not follow this step, University Archives will not accept the transfer.
  4. For electronic records, include the types of files (i.e. word processing files, PDF’s, spreadsheets, databases, email, photographs, audio, video, etc.), the number of files, the size of these files in MB (megabytes) or KB (kilobytes), and the unique series identification number from the retention schedule that corresponds to the files.


  1. Please email the form and the list as an attachment to We will review it and contact you if changes need to be made.
  2. Once the records have been approved for transfer we will send you a set of box labels.


  1. Affix the box labels sent to you by University Archives on the long side of each box. Do not tape the boxes shut. If you must write on the boxes please use pencil.
  2. Make sure that all digital media (CD, DVD, thumb drive, hard drive) included with the transfer is properly labeled identifying its contents.


Because the Archives staff is small, we cannot pick up materials from campus offices. Therefore, we ask that offices make arrangements themselves to transport materials to University Archives. Options include the following:

  1. If you have just one box, send it through campus mail. If the transfer contains confidential information, please mark the box as such and use a small amount of packing tape to “seal” the box.
  2. Facilities can transport boxes for you at a fee. They also maintain an online request form for this service . Materials should be brought to the loading dock of Wilson Library, accessible from South Road. Please notify University Archives of the date and time when Facilities will make their delivery.
  3. Transport the boxes in your own vehicle. Materials should be brought to the loading dock of Wilson Library, accessible from South Road. Please notify University Archives of the date and time when you will make your delivery.