The Thomas Wolfe Collection, part of the North Carolina Collection in the University of North Carolina Library, includes correspondence, manuscripts, legal documents, family memorabilia, printed material, photographs, clippings, and recorded materials by and about Asheville-born writer Thomas Wolfe. It was formally established in 1950 with an initial gift of materials from the brothers and sisters of Thomas Wolfe in memory of their parents, William Oliver and Julia Elizabeth Westall Wolfe. The Wolfe Collection is divided into several smaller collections, each described by a finding aid.
The North Carolina Collection collects Wolfe comprehensively and adds to its Thomas Wolfe Collection by both gift and purchase. Recent acquisitions have included three sets of drawings proposed for an illustrated edition of Wolfe’s Look Homeward, Angel.
A small room inside the 2nd floor reading room at Wilson Library is used to exhibit selected items from the Thomas Wolfe Collection. Materials on display include manuscripts, printed works, photographs, and art.
Access to some parts of the Thomas Wolfe Collection is restricted. In some cases, use of materials requires prior written permission from the Executor of the Estate of Thomas Wolfe, whose name and address are available from Wilson Library staff. Individuals interested in using materials from the Collection should email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to visiting.
Finding Aids to Thomas Wolfe-related materials
- Wolfe Family Papers, 1890-1958, CW
- John Skally Terry Papers on Thomas Wolfe and Other Materials, 1917-1953, CW1
- Papers Relating to Thomas Wolfe from Various Sources, 1917-1985, CW2
- Elizabeth Nowell and Vardis Fisher Correspondence on Thomas Wolfe and Other Topics, 1947-1957, CW2.1
- Richard Gaither Walser Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1971-1982, CW2.2
- John R. Bittner Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1998-2002, CW2.3
- Sallie Faxon Saunders Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1923-1967, CW2.4
- Richard S. Kennedy Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1949-2000, CW2.5
- Henry T. Volkening Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1929-1940, CW2.6
- Benjamin Cone Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1929-1982, CW2.7
- Kenneth Rodgers Collection on Thomas Wolfe, 1900-1937, CW2.8
- Edward C. Aswell Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1947-1958, CW3
- Librarian’s Papers on Thomas Wolfe, 1938-2006, CW4
- Fred Wolfe Papers, 1882-1980, CW5
- St. Mary’s College Thomas Wolfe Collection, 1920-1990, CW6
- Braden-Hatchett Collection of Thomas Wolfe Materials, 1860-1994, CW7
- Murray J. Smith Collection of Thomas Wolfe Letters and Related Materials, 1934-1938, CW8
- Aldo P. Magi Collection on Thomas Wolfe, 1900-2009, CWM
- Thomas Wolfe Photograph Collection, P48