Research Assistant, Southern Historical Collection
The Southern Historical Collection seeks qualified applicants for a 20 hr./wk. Research Assistant position to serve as Community Outreach Coordinator for our Community Driven Archives (CDA) Projects. Our CDA projects represent a diverse (ethnic, socio-economic, regional, etc.) communities who have partnered with the Southern Historical Collection in the preservation and access needs of their unique histories. We welcome candidates from any graduate program.
The position start and end times are negotiable. The salary is $1,336.42/month. This position may also qualify for additional benefits, including graduate student health insurance. This position does not include a tuition award.
- Serve as Project Coordinator for CDA projects, based out of Wilson Library on UNC Chapel Hill’s campus
- Work with multiple stakeholders to create a unified vision for CDA initiatives
- Contribute to a robust web presence for various CDA projects
- Scan, describe, and organize primary source materials
- Assist in developing exhibits and investigating tools to support community curation
- Develop and promote outreach events, service learning opportunities, educational materials, and workshops for CDA partners and the campus community
- Present and promote scholarship related to CDA initiatives
- Enrollment in a UNC Chapel Hill graduate program for the duration of the position
- Prior completion of at least one year of graduate coursework
- Willingness and ability to make appx. 2-3 brief trips per semester to partner communities (full travel compensation is provided in addition to salary)
- Familiarity with Omeka, WordPress, OneDrive, and Microsoft Office programs
- Interest broadly in ethnic studies, community outreach and development, public policy, special collections, developing regional partnerships, economic development and capacity building in the South
- Superb communication, networking, and public outreach skills
- Ability to streamline and prioritize work with multiple stakeholders
- Experience creating events and educational materials for the public
Applications will be accepted through January 1, 2018. Interviews will be conducted in early January.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Josephine McRobbie (email@example.com)
Subject: Outreach Coordinator position