Research Assistant, North Carolina Collection, Wilson Library
The North Carolina Collection of the Louis R. Wilson Special Collections Library seeks qualified applicants for a 15 or 20 hours/week Research Assistant position. The position is available August 1, 2017 through May 31, 2018. Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The Research Assistant (RA) in the North Carolina Collection (NCC) will assist the curatorial staff with collection-based projects and daily office management. The specific duties of the RA will include:
- Researching and writing short histories of North Carolina newspapers for inclusion on Chronicling America and writing posts for the North Carolina Miscellany blog.
- Appraising additions to and organizing collections of North Carolina ephemera, including political campaign material.
- Harvesting North Carolina-related websites and social media.
- Identifying potential purchases: searching large commercial websites (such as Amazon.com, Lulu.com, and Alibris.com), WorldCat, publisher and author websites, publisher catalogs and book dealer catalogs, to assist with determining and creating new orders.
- Review NC Collection non-newspaper microfilm holdings to determine priority for cataloging
- Processing gift materials: including preparation of gift acknowledgements.
- Assisting with compilation of annual bibliography of North Carolina publications.
- Event assistance: help with the planning and/or hosting of several NCC related events each year.
- Assist with creation of metadata for North Carolina Collection scans sold via 1000 Museums.
- Providing front office support: answering phones, greeting/directing patrons, receiving gifts.
- Additional projects may be assigned as needed.
- Knowledge of the history and culture of North Carolina
- Familiarity with library discovery tools including the online library catalog, WorldCat, and electronic databases
- Comfort with web tools and other digital technology.
- Reliability and flexibility
Alison Barnett, North Carolina Collection, Wilson Library, CB#3930, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send cover letter, resume, and contact information for a reference.
15 or 20 hours per week / $1,002.31 or $1,336.42 per month; schedule flexible but must occur during curatorial office hours, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm. This position does not include a tuition award but may qualify for additional benefits, including the graduate student health insurance.