Research Assistant, Music Library
Term: August 22, 2017 (unless previously enrolled; then as early as Aug. 1) – May 31, 2018
Hours: 10 hours per week Mon-Fri. Specific work hours to be determined.
This position may also qualify for additional benefits, including the graduate student health insurance. Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Duties focus primarily on technical processing, but also include assistance in delivering public service to a wide variety of patrons.
Attention to detail, and a flexible and collegial attitude are vital. Ability to read music is preferred.
Duties may include:
- End-use processing of newly cataloged materials (serials, standing orders, books, scores)
- Assist in receiving and processing new audio/visual materials
- Process Document Delivery requests
- Process transfers of music materials to remote storage (LSC)
- Perform circulation functions and provide basic reference assistance to patrons at Service Desk
- Update Music Library’s home page as needed (WordPress)
- Special projects as assigned, possibly to include overseeing the Music Library’s Facebook page (1-2 posts per week)
Please submit a resume, cover letter (including your experience with music), and contact info for two references by July 28 via email or in person to:
Music Librarian for Public Service
Music Library/Wilson Library Suite 300
The UNC-Chapel Hill Music Library is one of the top academic music libraries in the country. Located on the first floor of Wilson Library, the collection includes books, scores, audio and video recordings, and a large number of rare materials, as well as access to major music research databases and thousands of streamed audio and video recordings. The Music Library serves the information needs of the Department of Music, and other constituencies on campus, statewide, nationally, and internationally.