Assistant Keeper, North Carolina Collection Gallery
Position Title: Curatorial Specialist – Advanced
Working Title: Assistant Keeper
Position Number: 20022971
Hiring Range: $50,369-$56,293
Closing Date: August 24, 2017
This position will assist the Keeper of the North Carolina Collection (NCC) Gallery, the exhibit component of the North Carolina Collection, located in the Wilson Special Collections Library. The Gallery offers exhibits and related programs that interpret North Carolina history, literature, and culture. The Gallery is responsible for the management of a 3,000-square foot suite of exhibition areas and historic period rooms and an over 35,000-item collection of museum objects.
This position will assist with the general management and staffing of the Gallery, including the recordkeeping and management of the Gallery’s museum objects; scheduling, training, and supervising student employees; giving tours of Gallery exhibits to UNC and K-12 school groups and other visitors; and assisting with the creation of exhibits.
Minimum Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to the area of assignment and one year of experience that demonstrates possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
The Assistant Keeper for the NCC Gallery:
• Must have familiarity with operating databases.
• Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
• Must have experience working in a Microsoft Office environment and the ability to create, edit, and manage standard business documentation in Word and Excel.
• Must be service-oriented and have the ability to work productively and collaboratively with people inside and outside the organization.
• Must have demonstrated ability to work independently to set priorities and meet deadlines.
• Must have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be dependable.
• Must work occasional weekends.
• Work experience in a library, museum, or other cultural heritage organization.
• Extensive experience with database technology.
• Experience with collection management for museum objects.
• Knowledge of North Carolina history, literature, and culture.
• Experience making presentations to cultural organizations and public groups.
• Demonstrated ability using Adobe Creative Suite and WordPress.
Special Physical and Mental Requirements
The person in this position will need to navigate stairs and elevators, move loaded book trucks and carts, move boxes weighing up to 30 pounds several days a week.
This person will need to construct prefabricated boxes. Position also requires occasional use of 3M Photomount spray and X-acto knives.
Evening work occasionally, Weekend work occasionally
8:00 to 5:00 Monday-Friday and occasional evenings and weekends
To apply for permanent staff (SHRA) positions, please visit the Office of Human Resources Careers at Carolina website. For more information on application procedures, applicants may contact:
Office of Human Resources
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
104 Airport Drive CB #1045
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
UNC-Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans