The Desktop Support Unit of the University Libraries provides Information Technology (IT) support to staff and patrons of the University Libraries. IT support is a dynamic environment in which employees are exposed to a wide-range of technologies and concepts. This includes the support of desktops, laptops, tablets, printers, scanners, communications technologies (email, chat, teleconferencing, etc.) and Audio/Video equipment.
The Desktop Support Unit seeks motivated and qualified applicants for a 15 hr/wk Temporary Research Assistant position. The position is available September 1, 2014 through May 31, 2015 with a salary of $925/month. This position may also qualify for additional benefits, including the graduate student health insurance. Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. This position is housed within Davis Library, but will provide support across the University Libraries.
- Assist full-time Desktop Support Staff in fulfilling their job functions
- This position will specifically assist in the support of Audio/Video and teleconferencing technologies in various classrooms and meeting spaces
- Provide friendly, professional IT support for staff of the University Libraries
- Respond to and fulfill IT service requests
- Adhere to and contribute to the documentation of processes and outcomes
- Participate in regular meetings of the Desktop Support Unit and other entities if necessary
- Assist with various projects as needed:
- Deployment of Staff and Public IT hardware
- Surplus of outdated IT hardware
- Research various IT products and present findings
- Depending on the skills of the successful candidate, other applicable work may be assigned
- Media Production (PowerPoints, Video Walkthroughs, instructional materials, etc.)
- Content Management/Organization for internal and external documentation
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
- General understanding of end-user technologies (tablets, laptops, desktops, MS Office, Windows, Mac, webcams, etc.)
- Technical expertise and/or experience is NOT required
- Eagerness to learn
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, manage ongoing multiple tasks, communicate regularly, and produce deliverables as required by management
No previous IT support experience is required and interested candidates with great communication skills are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted through Monday, August 4th. Interviews will be conducted starting the week of August 11th.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
SUBJ: DST TRA