The Health Sciences Library (HSL) is seeking applicants for a 20 hour/week graduate student research assistant position in the User Services Department.
The HSL serves faculty, students, and staff in schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the UNC Health Care system which includes a 800+-bed teaching hospital; and the North Carolina AHEC statewide program for health professionals’ education. The library is nationally recognized for its leadership in outreach and education services.
User Services helps users make use of the library’s collections and services; get answers to questions; get and use information regardless of its format, location, or presentation; and develop information management competencies. The department’s activities encompass client-centered reference and consultation, circulation, information and referral, multimedia design, stacks maintenance, electronic reserves, curriculum support, and education.
After orientation and training, the Graduate Student Research Assistant (RA) will:
- Provide all levels of reference and user services at the user services desk, over the telephone, by email, and/or by chat (10 hours / week)
- Participate in projects in the User Services Department, including creating and updating both web and print user guides and documentation, teaching classes and providing one-on-one help for citation management programs and literature databases, performing introductory research and writing on new services, supporting liaison work, and other projects as assigned (5 hours / week)
- Work on special projects in departments outside of User Services. Past projects have been in collection management, interlibrary loan, cataloging, scholarly communication, the Your Health blog, and usability studies of the HSL online presence. Upcoming areas could also include support for services for interdisciplinary research, open educational resources, and/or transformative teaching and learning, depending on the needs of the library and the interests/skills of the student (5 hours / week)
- Must be a currently enrolled graduate student at UNC Chapel Hill
- Able to articulate a desire to explore diverse areas of academic research libraries
- Demonstrated excellent time management and problem-solving skills,
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively on teams
- Graduate student in library or information science preferred
- Experience or course work in one or more of these areas: customer service, reference, collection management, searching electronic databases, library services, web and social media applications, development of computer based instructional materials
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and aptitude for working effectively with library users or other customers
- Experience or stated interest in health, medicine or the sciences
- High skill in using, and/or demonstrated ability to learn, computer programs such as PowerPoint, image manipulation software, content management systems (Drupal, LibGuides, wikis, blogs) and bibliographic management software
- Commitment to work at least through June 30, 2015
Schedule, Salary and Benefits
This is a 20 hour per week position with flexible hours, including some weekend, evening, and holiday hours. Monthly salary is $1,266.67. This position may be eligible for the graduate student health insurance and other benefits may apply. Position starts as soon as possible.
Send cover letter, a current resume, and a list of three references to Brenda Linares, User Services Graduate Student Supervisor: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as received, with preference given to applications received by January 9, 2015. Position will be open until filled.
For more information about this position, please contact Brenda Linares at 919-962-0801 or email@example.com.
The University of North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer