Temporary Research Assistant
Davis Library Research Hub
The Research Hub offers a center for researchers interested in working with data, mapping, texts, and technology, and offers equipment, software, and expertise for geographic information systems (GIS), numeric data services, text and data mining, data visualization, and digital humanities. The Research Hub in Davis Library is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Graduate Student Research Assistant to work as a GIS consultant.
The GIS Consultant will primarily support for geographic information services, but will also support data services, digital humanities, and data visualization. We anticipate hiring a student with strong GIS skills and an interest in learning more about these other areas. Training will be provided to the successful applicant- much of the training will be self-led.
Tasks will be assigned according to skills and professional objectives and may include:
- Staffing the Research Hub service desk
- Assisting library patrons with questions about GIS software, web mapping, and data services
- Helping library patrons find and use numeric and spatial data
- Creating and maintaining web pages, guides and course pages
- Documenting the library’s data holdings
- Documenting and maintaining documentation of resources on the web
- Downloading data, organizing files, copying CDs and DVDs
- Assisting with instruction sessions and short courses
- Administrative support (copying, scanning, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Proficiency with GIS software
- Strong commitment to public service
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must be reliable and punctual
- Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable with experimentation and self-directed learning
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills related to digital research
- Experience working with at least one software package used for digital research in addition to GIS, such as text or data mining, data visualization or digital humanities. Examples include:
- Online mapping applications such as CartoDB, MangoMap, Map Box/Tile Mill, etc.
- Photoshop, Illustrator
- Previous work experience or substantial course work in a relevant area
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Philip McDaniel: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to provide details about GIS experience, as well as your experience with (or interest in learning) other digital research tools. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Work Schedule: 20 hours/week; Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM-5:00 PM
Start Date: 1 June 2015
End Date: 31 August 2015 (with possible renewal for fall semester)
Salary: $15,200 ($1267/month)
For questions, please contact Philip McDaniel, email@example.com