A temporary graduate student research assistant position is available for the period September 1, 2014 through May 31, 2015 in the Kenan Science Library (Venable Hall) at UNC. This is a 20 hour per week position Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with some evening hours (5:00 – 7:00 pm). Pay is $1233.33 per month.
The Makerspace will be opening in Fall 2014 as part of the University Libraries’ Research Hub initiative. It will enable UNC students, staff and faculty to explore emerging technologies and foster a creative community of makers and making.
- Staff the Kenan Library Makerspace during design studio hours
- Oversee 3D printing service
- Assist users with their design and 3D printing and scanning
- Assist with the operation and maintenance of equipment in the Kenan Makerspace
- Contribute to Makerspace planning and outreach
- Assist with instruction
- Assist with documentation, communication, promotion, funding and assessment
Note: Making experience is preferred but not required.
- Enrollment in a graduate program at UNC Chapel Hill during Fall 2014 and Spring 2015 semesters
- Aptitude for learning and troubleshooting new technologies
- Ability to teach workshops and conduct demonstrations
- Flexible; adaptable; comfortable with experimentation and self-directed learning
- Ability and enthusiasm for working with the public
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience with 2D and 3D design software and hardware
- Experience with electronics or robotics
- Teaching experience
- Graphics and/or web design experience
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please send a cover letter and resume to:
SUBJ: Makerspace TRA