ANNOUNCEMENT OF PROFESSIONAL VACANCY
POSITION: Digital Scholarship Specialist
AVAILABLE: August 1, 2017
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library invites applications for the position of Digital Scholarship Specialist in the Digital Research Services department.
We are seeking a creative and collaborative individual to provide technical support for digital scholarship projects and to guide the selection, enhancement or creation of new tools and workflows to support scholarly research. The successful applicant will serve as the contact point for Digital Humanities efforts for the University Libraries and will maintain communication with the Carolina Digital Humanities Initiative and the Digital Innovation Lab.
Based in the Davis Library Research Hub, the Digital Scholarship Specialist will facilitate the use of Library collections in new ways by supporting researchers with projects such as online exhibits, digital maps, and text mining. The librarians and technology experts in the Davis Library Research Hub work as a team to support scholars with research and teaching. Staff members work collaboratively to meet exciting research challenges, support learning communities, and introduce and support innovative technologies through consultation and instruction. We are seeking a flexible, curious innovator who thrives on learning new technology and solving problems, and is committed to advancing research.
The Digital Scholarship Specialist:
- Works directly with UNC researchers, providing technical consultation and support for digital scholarship projects.
- Builds community by developing relationships with other campus units supporting digital scholarship, including the Carolina Digital Humanities Initiative and the Digital Innovation Lab.
- Identifies, evaluates and recommends new and emerging digital research tools and methods for the Libraries and UNC research community.
- Provides assistance using and extending the functionality of digital scholarship applications, and works with others in the Library to help develop scalable, sustainable research solutions.
- Cooperates with the Library and Information Technology department to design and implement workflows, tools, and infrastructure to support digital scholarship.
- Develops services in response to current trends, campus needs, and Library priorities.
- Is committed to providing meaningful contributions to digital scholarship generally, through sharing code, publishing, presenting, or collaborating with scholars from other research institutions.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library or Information Science, or a related advanced degree.
- Demonstrated proficiency with digital scholarship tools, such as those used for digital humanities, data visualization, text mining, and mapping.
- Demonstrated aptitude for quickly learning new tools and technologies.
- Experience working effectively with a team to plan and complete projects.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience supporting digital scholarship in a library or research setting.
- Project management experience.
- Experience teaching technology, either one-on-one or in a classroom setting.
- Proficiency using tools and programming libraries to support text analysis.
- Geospatial technology skills.
- Background working in a large academic library.
The University and The Libraries
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the country’s oldest state university. UNC Chapel Hill has an enrollment of approximately 29,000 students, employs more than 3,500 members of the faculty, and offers 69 doctoral degrees as well as professional degrees in medicine, nursing, dentistry, pharmacy and law. The UNC Health Sciences Library is part of the University Libraries and is a recognized leader within the Association of Academic Health Science Libraries. University Library collections include over 7.5 million volumes. The UNC Libraries also include the Research Hub, which provides spaces, technology, and expertise to assist with all phases of research. The Library is a member of the Association of Research Libraries and the Center for Research Libraries. Together with the libraries at Duke University, North Carolina Central University, and North Carolina State University, the members of the Triangle Research Libraries Network (TRLN) provide services and collections to their students, faculty, and staff in support of the education, research, and service missions of the universities.
The University Libraries are committed to increasing the diversity of its staff, and therefore welcomes applications from candidates who bring additional dimensions to our mission and work. The University Libraries invest proudly in our employees, strive to create a diverse environment of respect and collaboration, and encourage vision and innovation.
The Triangle region is one of the most desirable places to live and work in North America and offers its residents a wide array of recreational, cultural, and intellectual activities. The mountains or the seashore are less than half day’s drive from Chapel Hill.
Salary and Benefits
This is a twelve-month academic librarian appointment; salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Standard state benefits of annual leave, sick leave, and State or optional retirement plan. At the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, librarians enjoy the benefit of academic status and are members of the faculty council.
Deadline for Application
Review of applications will begin on June 30, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but preference will be given to applications received by the begin review date.
Please visit http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/121482 and complete the online application. Please include a letter of application, a resume and the name, mailing address, email address, and telephone number of three professional references, one of whom must be a current supervisor. Additionally, please indicate in your cover letter where you first learned of this position.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all to apply, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.