Summer Graduate Assistantship in the Undergraduate Library
The Library’s User Experience and Assessment department is hiring a 20 hour/week graduate student research assistant position to assist library staff in developing virtual reality & augmented reality services in the Undergraduate Library. All necessary training will be provided.
The appointment runs June 1, 2018 through July 31, 2018. Hours are between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Pay is $1,336.42 per month (no tuition reimbursement).
The Undergraduate Library’s VR Station gives all UNC affiliates access to VR experiences. This position will orient first-time and veteran users to VR in a public service environment, and plan and teach introductory level workshops on basic VR content creation. This position will also work closely with staff in the Kenan Science Library to coordinate VR services and workshops across the libraries.
- Orient patrons in the use of virtual reality equipment, such as the HTC Vive, phone-based VR headsets, and 360 degree video cameras
- Teach small group workshops on 360 degree video creation
- Assist with outreach events, documentation, communication, and assessment
- Research and recommend new related hardware and software for purchase
- Other projects as assigned
- If UNC student in the Spring 2018 semester, must be registered in Summer School and/or pre-registered for the Fall 2018 Semester.
- If not UNC Student in the Spring 2018 semester, then must be registered for Summer School.
- Aptitude for learning and troubleshooting new technologies
- Ability to teach workshops and conduct demonstrations
- Flexible; adaptable; comfortable with experimentation and self-directed learning
- Ability and enthusiasm for working with the public
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience with virtual reality/augmented reality equipment (e.g., HTC Vive, Oculus Rift); game engine software (e.g., Unity, Unreal Engine)
- Teaching experience
- Graphics, photography, or web design experience
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
SUBJ: Graduate Assistant Position