Kenan Science Library Summer Graduate Assistantship
A 20 hour/week graduate student research assistant position is available in the Kenan Science Library makerspace (G301 Venable Hall) to assist library staff with the development of virtual reality/augmented reality services and programs; necessary training will be provided. The appointment runs June 1, 2018 through July 31, 2017. Hours are between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Pay is $1336.42 per month (no tuition reimbursement).
The Kenan Science Library makerspace is part of the University Libraries’ Research Hub. It enables UNC students, staff, and faculty to explore emerging technologies and foster a creative community of makers and making. The makerspace provides access to virtual reality equipment, 3D design tools, 3D printing, 3D scanning, electronics & soldering, and sewing. See some of our projects on our website.
- Orient patrons in the use of virtual reality equipment, such as the HTC Vive, phone-based VR headsets, and 3D video cameras
- Teach small group workshops on such topics as 3D modelling and game engine development
- Provide consultations to patrons on virtual reality and 3D modeling
- Assist with outreach events, documentation, communication, and assessment
- Other projects as assigned
- If UNC student in the Spring 2018 semester, must be registered in Summer School and/or pre-registered for the Fall 2018 Semester.
- If not UNC Student in the Spring 2018 semester, then must be registered for Summer School.
- Aptitude for learning and troubleshooting new technologies
- Ability to teach workshops and conduct demonstrations
- Flexible; adaptable; comfortable with experimentation and self-directed learning
- Ability and enthusiasm for working with the public
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience with virtual reality/augmented reality equipment (e.g., HTC Vive, Oculus Rift); game engine software (e.g., Unity, Unreal Engine); 3D modeling tools (e.g., Blender, Maya, Fusion 360, Sketchup)
- Teaching experience
- Graphics, photography, or web design experience
Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Please send a cover letter and resume to:
SUBJ: Graduate Assistant Position