Davis Library Research Hub Student Consultants
- Hours/week: ~15
- Wage: $12.50 / hr.
- Start Date: August, 21 2018
The Research Hub in Davis Library is looking for a few talented and enthusiastic student consultants. The Research Hub offers equipment, software, and expertise for geographic information systems (GIS), numeric data services, text and data mining, data visualization, and digital humanities.
The consultants will provide support for data services, geographic information services, data visualization, and digital humanities. We anticipate hiring students with a range of interests and abilities and will provide training to those hired.
- Staff the Davis Library Research Hub Service Desk, answering walk-in questions
- Maintain the Davis Library Research Hub space (tidy space, organize furniture, etc.)
- Create presentations on the Liquid Galaxy digital Earth display (training provided)
- Create and edit maps and visualizations
- Perform specific tasks to accomplish research projects as outlined by full time staff or research assistant. Tasks generally involve processing or creating textual, numeric, or spatial data
Provide assistance with classes and workshops:
- Update instructional materials
- Assist instructors by answering individual questions
- Depending on skills & interest, there may be opportunities to lead instruction sessions.
- Assist with maintaining web pages and online guides
- Marketing and outreach – promote programs and services (create graphics, fliers, hang fliers)
- Assist with the Research Hub Social Media presence
- Assist with planning for workshops and events
- Assist with preparing for and cleaning up after events held in the Research Hub.
- Document the library’s data holdings
- Administrative duties such as downloading data, organizing files, and clerical tasks.
Experience working with at least one software package or programming language used for GIS, text or data mining, data visualization or digital humanities. Examples include:
- ArcGIS (desktop or online)
- Online mapping applications such as ArcGIS Online
- Photoshop, Illustrator
Previous work experience or substantial course work in a relevant area
Fill out an application and submit a cover letter describing your skills that pertain to those listed above. If you have experience using one of the software packages listed above be sure to detail your experience in your letter. Applications are available online in MS Word and PDF formats:
Application review will begin April 10, 2018 and will be accepted until positions are filled.
To apply, fill out the student assistant application, and contact:
- Michele Hayslett – Data Services Librarian
- (919) 843-6958