DATA ANALYSIS AND VISUALIZATION RESEARCH ASSISTANT
The Health Sciences Library (HSL) is seeking applicants for a 20 hour/week graduate student research assistant position working on the library’s Research Impact Measurement initiatives. This position works flexible hours during the standard business week. Pay is $1336.42 per month.
The position is available May 14, 2018 through July 31, 2018. There is a possibility of extending this position for future semesters. This position may also qualify for additional benefits, including the graduate student health insurance. Applicants must be enrolled as a graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The UNC Health Sciences Library is part of the University Libraries and is a recognized leader within the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries. The Health Sciences Library’s mission is to connect people everywhere with knowledge to help them teach and learn effectively, assure quality health care, conduct vital research, and make informed decisions. To learn more about the Health Sciences Library, please visit: http://hsl.lib.unc.edu/.
The Research Assistant is responsible for facilitating data analysis and visualization projects within the Health Sciences Library. The position will work closely with staff from the HSL Health Technology and Informatics (HTI) department to identify and employ appropriate tools and processes for data analysis and visualization projects.
This will include working with HSL staff, as well as staff and faculty from the Health Affairs Schools (Dentistry, Nursing, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health) to perform bibliometric analysis for research impact.
Though experience in these particular areas is helpful, enthusiasm for the project and its potential are the most important consideration for a successful candidate.
- Facilitate data analysis and visualization initiatives within the Health Sciences Library
- Identify publicly-accessible data sources for HSL and Health Affairs initiatives
- Explore, select, and use proper data analysis and visualization tools for specific projects (e.g., Excel, Tableau, R, SAS, Gephi, etc.)
- Develop instructional materials about data visualization for library staff and patrons
- Assist data visualization classes
- Consult with Health Affairs Community
- Work with library staff to perform bibliometric analysis consultation
- Promote analysis and visualization services across Health Affairs schools
- Current graduate student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Previous experience with at least one data analysis or visualization tool (e.g., Excel, Tableau, R, SAS, Gephi, etc.)
- Passion to drive library and health innovation through data analysis and visualization
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent teamwork and time management skills
- Graduate students in public health, library science, information science, or related fields are preferred
- Experience collecting and analyzing data
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and aptitude for acquiring new skills
- Previous experience with bibliometric analysis
- Strong organizational skills
- Action-oriented & self-motivated mindset
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Fei Yu at feifei@.unc.edu
Applications will be accepted until the job is filled. Interviews will be conducted as soon as possible.
For more information, please contact Fei Yu, firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer.