What is the Carolina BLU Book Delivery Service?
Through the Carolina BLU Book Delivery Service, you can request to have books available at any of the UNC-CH campus libraries, as well as books requested through interlibrary loan delivered to the campus library most convenient to you. Academic Affairs faculty can have books delivered to a campus box.
Who can use the Carolina BLU Campus Delivery Service?
All UNC Chapel Hill faculty members, currently enrolled graduate and undergraduate students, and staff can use the campus delivery service, however service options may vary depending on your affiliation.
What can I request?
Most circulating books held in the University Libraries can be requested through the Carolina BLU campus delivery service.
What can’t I request?
Generally, media (DVDs, CDs, VHS), materials held in Reference, Reserves, Rare Books, and Special Collections cannot be delivered. If the catalog indicates that an item is library use only, we probably can’t deliver it. If you’re not sure, please contact us before placing your request.
You can also submit a request directly using this book request form.
Is there a limit to the number of books I can request?
Currently, there is no limit on the number of items you can request for delivery; however, due to the high volume of requests, we may have to impose restrictions on the number of books we will retrieve per patron.
- Recall and hold UNC copy: Items that are due within a month will be held for you when they are returned. Items that are checked out for longer than a month will be recalled. This means that we will contact the current borrower and ask him or her to return the book/item sooner. When the book/item is returned, you will be notified and the book/item will be held for 7 days.
- Check for TRLN copy: We will look for a copy at Duke, North Carolina Central, or North Carolina State University. If a copy is available, we will request delivery through Interlibrary Loan on your behalf and hold the item for you. This usually takes two business days.
- Cancel request: If your requested item is checked out, we will cancel this particular request.
How do I request a book that’s currently checked out?
You’ll use the same Carolina BLU book delivery form to have a book recalled. You will be notified via email when the book is available.
How do I request a book from storage?
You’ll use the same Carolina BLU book delivery form to request a book or journal volume from storage. You will be notified via email when the item is available.
Where will the books be delivered?
For Academic Affairs faculty, students, and staff, requested books can be delivered and/or returned to any of the following library locations:
- Art Library (Hanes Art Center)
- Carolina Population Center Library
- Davis Library
- School of Government’s Knapp Library (Knapp-Sanders Building)
- Health Sciences Library
- Highway Safety Research Center
- Information & Library Science Library (Manning Hall)
- Park Library (Carroll Hall)
- Kenan Flagler Business School (McColl Building, Room 4502)
- Law Library
- Music Library (Wilson Library)
- North Carolina Collection (Wilson Library)
- Kenan Science Library (Venable Hall)
- Science Library Annex
- Stone Center Library
- Undergraduate Library
Can I specify a default delivery location?
You can set a default Pickup Location in your Carolina BLU account record, and that location will automatically be selected on your future requests. You will still have the option of choosing an alternate pickup location on each request. To set your default Pickup Location:
- Log into your Interlibrary Loan account
- Select “Change User Information”
- Select a Pickup Location from the dropdown menu
- Submit Information
Can I have books sent to my office?
Academic Affairs faculty members have the option to send books to their campus box (CB#). Please be aware that books may take longer to reach you if they are delivered through campus mail. Services vary for those affiliated with Health Affairs and Law. Please contact the Health Sciences Library or the Law Library for more information.
Where do I return the books I’ve requested?
You can return the book to any of the libraries and locations listed above. If you have a block on your account for any reason, you’ll need to return to the library where the block was placed.
Please note: Books received through interlibrary loan or borrowed from a TRLN Library (books not owned by UNC) must be renewed through your Interlibrary Borrowing / Campus Delivery account.
How long does it take?
Our goal is to deliver the book to the nearest library or campus box within 2-3 business days (Monday-Friday). Delivery times may vary during holidays and academic breaks.
How long will the library hold the book for me?
The book will be held for 7 days then returned to the owning library and/or re-shelved.
How can I check the status of my request?
If you log in to your interlibrary loan/campus delivery account, you will see what requests you have and where they are in the process.
Where can I renew my books?
You can renew UNC library books requested online though your “My Library” account or at any of the locations listed above. If you have a hold on your account for any reason, you’ll need to return to the library where the hold was placed.
Books received through interlibrary loan or borrowed from a TRLN Library (boooks not owned by UNC) must be renewed through your Interlibrary Borrowing / Campus Delivery account.
How do I request renewal of a book received through interlibrary loan?
If you need to renew an interlibrary loan item, log in to your Interlibrary Borrowing /Campus Delivery account and click on the “Check out/Renew items” link on the left sidebar. Renewals must be made by the day before the due date. The lending library sets the loan period and some libraries do not allow renewals.
What if I’m in a distance education program?
If you are enrolled in a Academic Affairs distance education program, you can use the interlibrary borrowing service. Be sure the status in your account profile indicates you are in a distance education program.
Is there a charge for this service?
Currently there is no cost for this service.
Who can I contact if I have more questions?
You can contact us whenever you have a question and we’d be happy to help you.